Stockport Co-production charter

Getting Involved and Getting Help

In England, the Healthy Child Programme (HCP) is the universal public health programme offered to all children and families. It comprises of regular reviews of your child’s health and development as well as a programme of immunizations and parent support. Each family has a named Health Visitor who oversees the delivery of the HCP and each child’s development record (The Red Book) until they reach 5 years of age during their reception year in school.

There are key points at which your health visitor will discuss your child’s development with you and consider how well they are meeting key developmental milestones. This conversation will be supported by an ‘Ages and Stages’ parental questionnaire (ASQ3) as well as other recognized child development screening tools, for example Well Comm. (An assessment of a child’s speech and language development).

There may be times when you want to know more about the development that is typically expected, how you can support your child’s development or more information in relation to a particular need that you have noticed as a parent. You can talk to your Getting help and getting involvedHealth Visitor about any questions you have and they will share advice, information and activities to help you.

Stockport Health Visitor helpline for general advice and enquiries 0161 835 6789 available Monday-Friday, 9am – 5pm (not bank holidays.)

Visit for more information on how to contact your local health visitor

If you are accessing a childcare setting or the Government funded early education entitlements for 2, 3 and 4 year old,s you can also discuss your child’s development with your Childminder or your child’s key person in their early years setting. (A pre-school, day nursery or local council nursery school/nursery class as part of a primary school).

Your child can really benefit from early education.
How and why it is important that you support your child’s attendance at a childcare setting is in this leaflet.

Some ways you can get involved and help with your child’s learning.

If you are thinking of your child starting in an early education setting you can find all childcare at and you can find out more information about the funding that is available

Moving to an Early Years Setting” leaflet for families

All Ofsted registered Early Years and Childcare settings must follow the Early Years Foundation Stage, revised version from 1 September 2021.

Things for parents to consider when your child goes to an early years provider PDF Download

How your childcare setting can support your child.

Childcare settings must consider the individual needs, interests, and stage of development of each child in their care, and must use this information to plan a challenging and enjoyable experience for each child in all of the areas of learning and development. You can chat about your child’s individual needs and see detail in this guide -What to Expect When – A Parents’ guide to their child’s development birth to 5 years.


Team Around the Early Years leafletThe TAEY is a shared conversation about children who may benefit from additional support to reach their full potential. The early years provider may talk to you if they feel your child needs some extra support and ask your permission for your child to be discussed as part of their TAEY, you can also request additional support yourself by talking to your nursery, childminder or Health Visitor who all form part of TAEY

Download the TAEY leaflet here or click here to go to the website

EPEC is an innovative approach to helping parents and carers understand early childhood and approaches to helping your child to get the best start in life. It works in a unique way as it recruits, trains, and supports local parents to lead parenting groups in their own communities. EPEC parenting courses are highly successful and are led by local parents known as Parent Group Leaders who have completed the certificated EPEC training and receive ongoing support and development opportunities from the local EPEC Hub.

Join our Facebook group:

Childcare settings must have arrangements in place to support children with Special Educational Needs (SEN) or disabilities. Childminders, Pre-school, private day nurseries and maintained nursery schools and primary schools funded by the local authority to deliver early education places must have regard to the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.

Maintained schools and maintained nursery schools must identify a member of staff to act as Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) and other Early Years providers (in group provision) are expected to identify a SENCO. Childminders encouraged to act as the SENCO and childminders who are registered with a childminder agency or who are part of a network may wish to share the role between them..

Download the Leaflet here

SEND Local OfferThe Stockport Local Offer provides advice, information and services to children and young people with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) and their families.

Click here to go to the website

Find a range of useful info in our A-Z listing

Find a range of useful info in our A-Z listing

Find a range of useful info in our A-Z listing

Find childcare in your area